10 February 2009

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!


"I tried to think."

I am reporting on what is quite possibly the most geektastic, most splurge worthy, most earth shattering revelation of 2009.

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls. They're making new Ghostbusters toys. Even of the cartoon! I must have done something right recently, because the Gods have favored my very existence and have seen fit to endow me with this great honor. When I am on my death bed, I will report to my progeny, "I was there for the day they revealed unto the world anew fresh, exciting Ghostbuster toys. It was glorious." With those words, I will smile, close my eyes, and die happy.

I'm literally having a Geek-gasm right now. 

My love for Ghostbusters goes all the way to the beginning. I fell in love with it at 3. I remember this, I know this, it is a part of my being. I watched the film so many times, I think my VCR vomited onto the cassette. 

I watched 'Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters' religiously. Every Saturday morning. I can't even remember the channel, but I still remember the music, the story lines, everything  about that show. I collected the toys. I had the Ecto-1. The Ghostbusters house. Various, and quite honestly ridiculous variations, incarnations of the crew.

I remember the first time I learned about a Ghostbusters sequel. I was running my ass off to go see a movie down in H-town with the old man, and I saw the teaser poster on the wall outside our theater. 

I freaked, and my dad was not nearly, but almost as excited.

"Vie are you dripping vit goo?"

I remember when it came out Christmas, 1989. It was a glorious Christmas. I woke up and found that I had been gifted with a Sega Master System (which is still better than the NES). I dragged it into my parents room, and then into the bathroom. My dad was on his throne, reading the Houston Chronicle. 

And what was he reading? The Ghostbusters 2 review. Cha! For reals. 

I went to go see the film several times. My aunt had picked me up a Ghostbusters jumpsuit, which I wore to the screenings, with my own homemade proton pack (it was a Mickey Mouse backpack), and black gloves. I was bitchin' for a 7 year old.

The Sega Master System produced what was quite possibly the best incarnation of a Ghostbusters video game to date. I played the game mercilessly. Turns out, I also had a running war going on with the UPS guy who would deliver goods to my mother's business. He also happened to own the game, and we were always comparing notes and seeing who had the bigger dick at the table. After all, boys will be boys.

The first time I got past the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, oh man... I just started getting nervous. I called in everyone into the house to watch me revel in triumph. I did not... the damn stairs kept booby trapping me with ghosts. It was so intense! How many floors did it go up?! What is that green ghost?! It's not Slimer?! Ghosts throwing dishes?! I quit life!!!

Eventually, I got to the top floor to do battle with Gozar the Gozarian. Again, the family was called into order to watch me finally be triumphant. Again, I failed. I honestly still remember the feeling I had when I played it. The best kind of butterflies, all over my body, creating a translucent sense of euphoria. I literally floated. My heart pounded.

Ironically, I don't remember the first time I beat the game. But I did. I went on to beat the Genesis version of the game. I beat Ghostbusters 2 on the NES. 

But as I aged, while my love for the Ghostbusters never died, my mother saw fit to give away my toys. To poor Mexicans. Sure, it was for a good cause and all, but still. :(

Yet I never gave up. I dressed as a Ghostbuster for Halloween '07. Whilst in New York that summer, I even found the old Ghostbuster house they used for filming. Destiny has always smiled upon me. 

"That's right boys. It's Dr. Venkman!"

So that's right, baby. I never gave up the dream. I embraced nostalgia, and she pulled me into her bosom, where I suckled some more! My reward has come. Rejoice with me my fellow comrades. The 80's will never die, but only if you believe it won't!


Best. Game. Ever.

Fun Fact: On my imdb profile, the trivia section lists this film as one of my two all-time favorite movies. 

1 comment:

  1. Buddy! I also have a huge love for the Ghostbusters. I saw Ghostbusters 2 at the drive in...what a magical night. Where in NYC is that firehouse?

    ReplyDelete